COSMOS is a global focal point of international leadership, interaction, and cooperation for the acquisition, processing, dissemination, and application of the earthquake strong-motion data.
To advocate for the establishment of strong-motion measurement systems; to promote development and adoption of verifiable, internationally-ranked standards for the acquisition and processing of earthquake strong-motion measurements; and to promote the global application of strong-motion measurements by design professionals.
The specific purpose of this Corporation is to serve as a consortium through which programs and institutions can work toward urgent improvement in earthquake strong-motion measurements, solve mutual problems with strong-motion instrumentation and data, and assist in the dissemination of strong-motion data, namely:
1. Develop policies and foster innovative ideas for the universal improvement in strong-motion measurements and their applications;
2. Promote the advancement of strong-motion measurement in densely urbanized areas and other locations of special significance to society likely to be struck by future earthquakes;
3. Encourage and assist the rapid, convenient, and effective distribution of strong-motion data according to standards of the Consortium of Organizations of Strong-Motion Observation Systems;
4. Strengthen, expand, and support strong-motion programs;
5. Serve as a consortium through which programs and institutions can work to solve mutual problems with instrumentation, data quality, data dissemination, and data utilization;
6. Advance systematic user influence on data acquisition and data dissemination processes;
7. Advance and facilitate the use of strong-motion data to achieve improved earthquake resistance of the built environment through research and engineering practice.