The mission of the PEER Outreach and Education Program is to effectively disseminate PEER research findings to PEER's constituent groups and to further promote the field of earthquake engineering (and related research) to future engineers.
With that global mission statement, the Education Program is specifically designed to encourage and enhance the education of future earthquake engineers and grow student interest in research related to this field. It aims to introduce, stimulate, cultivate and educate students with knowledge that will enable them to better understand then later contribute to the earthquake-engineering profession.
In addition to these goals, the increasing focus of PEER educational programs has been on furthering multidisplinary understating of the concepts of earthquake engineering and attempting to demonstrate to students how various disciplines interact within earthquake engineering. Recent PEER Education Projects have been targeted at students of many age levels including primary/elementary and high school level students, university undergraduates, and university graduate students.
Matt Zahr, a UC Berkeley undergraduate student, worked under the supervision of Nico Luco at United States Geological Survey, Geologic Hazards Team Office in Golden, Colorado.
"I really liked my project. I enjoyed coming into work everyday with an ultimate goal in mind. Previous internships that I had involved completing tiny, dead-end jobs. In this internship, Nico briefed me on some of the goals for the risk map web tool in the first couple weeks and the rest of the summer was spent working toward that goal. Once I reached those goals, I added additional options to the web tool that were outside the immediate USGS goals."
Education Program Testimonials
Recent Articles about PEER's Educational Activities
- – 02/13/14 - 2013 PEER Summer Interns present their research at Northridge 20 Symposium
- – 09/01/13 - 2013 PEER Summer Interns learn much at Orientation Program
- – 08/28/13 - Record Number of Undergraduates in 2013 PEER Internship Program
- – 12/12/12 - Graduate Student Showcase at the 2012 PEER Annual Meeting Poster Reception
- – 12/12/12 - PEER Experts a prominent fixture at the 15WCEE
- – 06/29/12 - PEER Interns learn about resiliency, research ethics, and more during Orientation Program
- – 05/21/12 - Twelve Undergraduate Students Selected to Participate in the 2012 PEER Internship Program
- – 05/02/12 - PEER Students at the 2012 CUEE Conference in Tokyo, Japan
- – 04/06/12 - New PEER Report Published: PEER 2011/10 "Earthquake Engineering for Resilient Communities: 2011 PEER Internship Program Research Report Collection"
- – 12/20/11 - PEER Internship Program for Undergraduates – Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2012
- – 11/02/11 - 2011 PEER Summer Interns present their research at PEER Annual Meeting
- – 09/09/11 - Three 2011 PEER Interns visit Japan to view E-Defense Testing
- – 07/05/11 - Orientation Program teaches PEER Interns research skills for the future
- – 07/01/11 - Middle School Students from da Vinci Camp visit the PEER & nees@berkeley Labs
- – 07/01/11 - Students from local community college visit PEER & UC Berkeley labs
- – 06/10/11 - Eleven Undergraduate Students Selected to Participate in the PEER 2011 Summer Internship Program
- – 04/07/11 - PEER’s Outreach Director, Heidi Faison, Named New Face of Civil Engineering by ASCE
- – 02/14/11 - PEER 2010 Intern Ray Hooft wins EERI Undergraduate Student Paper Competition
- – 02/09/11 - PEER Summer Internship for Undergraduates – Now Accepting Applications
- – 09/15/10 – PEER Interns win awards at NEES REU Young Researcher Symposium
- – 09/14/10 – 10 undergrads participate in 2010 PEER Summer Internship Program
- – 05/17/10 - 2010 Summer Internship Opportunity for Master's Students with FM Global & PEER
- – 3/17/10 - PEER Students participate in Successful Young Researcher Activities at the 2010 CUEE Conference in Tokyo, Japan
- – 1/19/10 - PEER 2009 Undergraduate Interns receive awards for their research projects
- – 11/07/09 - Young Researcher Symposium at the PEER Annual Meeting is a learning experience for graduate students
- – 11/07/09 - Student Poster Session at 2009 PEER Annual Meeting draws a crowd
- – 8/29/09 - PEER Student attends 2009 ANCER Workshop in Illinois
- – 6/29/09 - 160 attend Caltrans-PEER Seismic Research Seminar
- – 4/07/09 - PEER Students attend CUEE Conference and Visit E-Defense Shaking Table in Japan
- – 3/23/09 - PEER students sponsored to attend EERI's Liquefaction Seminar
- – 7/30/08 - PEER Sponsors Students to attend EERI Seminar about Deep Foundations
- – 2008 - 2008 PEER Summer Interns contribute to research related to nonductile concrete
- – 2008 - PEER hosts "roundtable discussion" with Leslie Robertson for students
- – 2007 - PEER's Summer Interns Assist with Key Research Projects
- – 2007 - Oregon State University Wins 2007 Seismic Design Competition
- – 2007 - California Students Tested Their Structural Design Skills